So with Microsoft's latest entrant into the tablet market, the 'Surface' (available for preorder) as it is called, consumers looking for a powerful tablet have an alternative to the iPad and android tablets. But the question is, will the Surface be able to compete, or even be a viable iPad/android killer?
I think the answer to that question is how embracing people are of Windows 8 in general. From what I've used so far, it seems to be a refreshing change from Windows 7, although many people have been put off by the introduction of the Metro interface.
With prices starting from $520 (without back cover) in Canada, and $620 with back cover (otherwise sold separately for $130), we can safely say that the Surface isn't cheap. It's almost at par with what we can assume to be it's main rival, the iPad. So since price competition is off the table, Microsoft needs to ensure that their new app market can compete with the Apple App Store soon enough.
As for appearance, one has to say that it's a good looking gadget. It's sleek, and the while the black border isn't particularly exclusive in any way (many android tablets look the same), the coloured keyboards do allow for a bit of customization with the general look.
I still think it's important to mention here that despite the growth for the market for tablets, I honestly do not see the growth lasting for very long given the current price ranges. For $600, you can buy a decent Dell laptop which will provide you with better performance than any tablet on the market. And with cheaper ultrabooks around the corner (preloaded with Windows 8, might I add), is a tablet worth the investment at this point?
So it's pretty tough to make an estimate about the Surface's success at the moment. However, the fact that the $520 dollar version is sold out on the Canadian Microsoft Store does tell you a lot about the initial public reception.
| Photo Credits: mashable.com |
I think the answer to that question is how embracing people are of Windows 8 in general. From what I've used so far, it seems to be a refreshing change from Windows 7, although many people have been put off by the introduction of the Metro interface.
With prices starting from $520 (without back cover) in Canada, and $620 with back cover (otherwise sold separately for $130), we can safely say that the Surface isn't cheap. It's almost at par with what we can assume to be it's main rival, the iPad. So since price competition is off the table, Microsoft needs to ensure that their new app market can compete with the Apple App Store soon enough.
As for appearance, one has to say that it's a good looking gadget. It's sleek, and the while the black border isn't particularly exclusive in any way (many android tablets look the same), the coloured keyboards do allow for a bit of customization with the general look.
I still think it's important to mention here that despite the growth for the market for tablets, I honestly do not see the growth lasting for very long given the current price ranges. For $600, you can buy a decent Dell laptop which will provide you with better performance than any tablet on the market. And with cheaper ultrabooks around the corner (preloaded with Windows 8, might I add), is a tablet worth the investment at this point?
So it's pretty tough to make an estimate about the Surface's success at the moment. However, the fact that the $520 dollar version is sold out on the Canadian Microsoft Store does tell you a lot about the initial public reception.
No comments:
Post a Comment